[FC] Rampy issues

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 23:06:25 EDT 2011

I want to totally retract my breakerless ignition recommendation.  It was not my intention to take this thread off topic.  I should of prefaced my response with "this is anecdotal experience, your mileage may vary."  I have no doubt the Pertronix may be of less than OEM quality.  I just happened to buy a bunch (dozen or so) at a volume discount years ago.  Of these I haven't had any issues.  Maybe I got a good batch.  Maybe its because my engines run cool and only operate in comfortable windows or top down weather.  Maybe I am just lucky - I have never even thrown a felt belt (except for an alternator that locked up.  I know, I know, should have just kept the tried and true generator on there.)

There is nothing wrong with a points system assuming all distributor parts are in good shape.  I haven't read the link from below but if it says points are superior I wouldn't argue with it.  Seems I have read about better dwell times and "coil saturation" with points vs. a cheap electronic ignition.  That's for another discussion...  But I have had worn out distributors where the dwell was all over the map - that can't be good.  With an electronic pickup that isn't an issue.  Neither are intermittent condensers or that oh-so-tiny points screw.

One thing I really like though is doing away with the resistance wire and or ceramic resistor on the coil.  I get a coil that operates on full battery voltage and run a dedicated wire from a trusted battery voltage source.  Seeing as how an ignition coil is a step up transformer, higher starting voltage can't be all bad.  Ken will correct me on this - LOL.  Quality and performance of coils could also be endlessly debated.

Whatever you run, keeping it cool and supplying it with steady voltage is obviously a no brainer.

YMMV

Andy