[FC] Ignition issues/ History lesson

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 07:00:03 EDT 2011

 Regarding the Pertronix, I have purchased several, I don't recall the number but more than 10 and less than a 100. Even thought of being a dealer but I knew I couldn't meet the yearly quota for sales. Anyway, when they first became a big thing in the Corvair world I jumped in also. There is still a Pertonix 1 running on the ex-wife's car and several on customer cars. Pertronix seemed to be very good and reliable in the begining then after about 5-7 years something happened in the company and it seems the quality control went away and some of the newer units started failing somewhere from 6 mos to 1 1/2 years. The 6 month failures were on my race car so no warranty, these were the Pertronix II.

You would think that with electronics there would be a hard failure and you know what to go after. These did not hard fail and took some doing to figure what was causing my problems. My problems were, hard starting, no high RPM, and poor idle. I had varying symptoms on customer cars but mostly the same as mentioned above. I would put points back in and miraculously the engine was back to normal.

What I have been doing lately is going back new/old school with the Chrysler electronic ignition. I am also working on a pick-up coil and reluctor system using a GM module instead of the big Chrysler unit. So, I am going with OEM stuff, just not OEM for the Corvair and they are available at an auto parts store!

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x118/vairmech/Viet%20Nam%20Pictures%201971/