[FC] shock absorbers and cutting stock coil springs

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Jun 27 17:31:57 EDT 2011

At 08:32 6/27/2011 -0700, Andrew Sego wrote:

 >>snip<<

>Shock absorbers:  I've bought a few sets of shocks for cars from Clark's over
>the years.  At first they are good, but seem to wear out fast.  They list the
>same shocks for cars and FC's.  Seems like they would wear out even faster
>in a
>truck than in a car.  Can anyone recommend a good shock that I can buy at my
>FLAPS that will fit and function propperly but last longer than the Red
>Ryders?

I have not tried to buy them from my FLAPS but I have been extremely happy
with the set of Bilstein shock absorbers (dampers) I installed on our '65
Greenbrier.   I was able to purchase them online.  May I suggest this link:
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/520/sfID3/158/productID/32227

The Bilstein part number is B46-0925 which is an application to fit the
front of Dodge B100-200-300 vans and Dodge D100-150-200-250 trucks.  Some
modification must be made to the mounting holes at the bottom of the shock
to fit the bolt spacing of the Corvair A-arm.  Also the opening in the rear
A-arm needs to be enlarged a bit--an easy job with air impact hammer.

I would not recommend these shocks for the EM passenger car as they would
likely be too stiff.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI