[FC] Considering scrapping 64 Rampside

Noah Swanson nmichswan at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:09:42 EDT 2011

My white and rust 64 Rampside spoke to me while I was underneath pulling the
electric fuel pump and filter to determine the source of my fueling issue
(would stop pumping with half a tank of gas). The truck asked why I was
still running her at 75mph down the expressway & stop/ go around town. I
looked around and it was obvious that the brake lines were looking unsafe
(rust), the frame was disintegrating worse than ever, the handbrake was
frozen, etc.
It's been a great truck for me and has hauled many a load, But I think she's
gotta be stripped/ parted out/ scrapped. The previous owner made some body
patches, welded in a frame rail under the ramp, did a drive way paint job
(drip job?).
It really comes down to the rot. If anyone is in the Milwaukee area and
wants to take a look at it, shoot me an email. I don't really feel like
parting it out, but haven't decided what I'm doing with it. Not sure if I'll
pull the powertrain, or sell it whole or pieces.
What I've done: pulled tank, cleaned, lined inside and out with POR-15 (fuel
safe). Replaced 110 heads, ported & polished, used 3.55 diff from Claypool,
clutch, throw-out and input shaft bearings, new tires p205/75/r14 BF
Goodrich, electric fuel pump, Grant Young carbs (enrichment circuit), Cherry
Bomb Turbo Muffler & much more.
The bad: rust everywhere. Through rust: below driver's door, across lower
ramp, tailgate, lower bed, lower sections of boxed frame (rear), frame
supports under bed, front wheel arch, etc.
I guess I'm seeking a little advice, consolation and maybe to find  someone
who wants to take a look at it.
A bit bummed,
Noah.