[FC] "generator " light

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 22:12:25 EDT 2011

Ok, I am home now with internet access and did a little reading.  From what I understand, the light has 12v going to one side when the ignition is on from the ignition switch.  If the alt is not turning or not charging, the brown wire on the regulator is grounded = light on.  When it is charging the brown wire is seeing battery(charging) voltage and the light is out since both sides are at 12v.  Sounds like your wiring for the light is possibly grounding when you shift Could be either side of the circuit.  So you may need to look more for a short to ground as opposed to a bad connection (but obviously you want all good connections anyway).

Here is where I must have read about the resistors and diodes.    http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,285655,285656

Seems the late models have a resistor parallel to the idiot light in case the bulb burns out.  But this doesn't sound like your problem.