[FC] "Gen" light

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 13:20:20 EDT 2011

One alternative option would be to just upgrade to an internally regulated alternator from a 1973-1982 Chevrolet/GM car or truck (10si).  Would need to swap half the case and pulley (not hard).  If my budget allowed I would probably go for the brand new Remy unit from Advance Auto for $75 exchange ($85 outright), Lifetime warranty,  order online and save 35-40% with a coupon code found here:

 http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=942388&t=2576125

and pick up in store (some stores in my area stock the new one)  Or you could get the reman one for about $20 using the coupon code.  The correct new pigtail is about $3.  The "automotive expert" behind the counter usually isn't at all concerned with what the core return is (only $10 anyway for these very common units).

Or you may have a local shop you like build you one as well.

One warning - the factory support bracket does not bolt up to the internally regulated case so you either leave it off or fabricate a solution.  I think most people just do without it and are ok.

Just a thought.

As always YMMV.  But I did want to share those Advance Auto Parts codes with the group.  Saving 40% brings their prices about inline with my favorite online autoparts retailer www.rockauto.com  5% discount codes for them are always available with a quick google search.  Usually covers half the shipping or so and there is no sales tax :)

Andy