[FC] anti-seize or loc-tite?

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 12:05:36 EDT 2011

Hello, After many hours of scraping, sandblasting, scrounging, cleaning, prepping, and painting I'm finally ready to start bolting my FC suspension rebuild project back together. I have all new hardware. I have a couple of "shop practices" questions that I'd like to hear some opinion on before I proceed.

Loc-Tite or Anti-Seize?

For the threads that get slotted-head hex nuts, like ball joint studs and tie rod ends, I'm planning on using antiseize. For the bolts that hold the new ball joints into the A-arms, I'm thinking about using Loc-Tite, probably blue. My concern is that the paint (2K) will eventually shrink or wear off and the joints will be loose in the arms. With Loc-Tite, I won't be able to snug them back up later. The bolts in the end of the control arm shafts will get anti-seize, since they need to be installed before the unit goes in the truck, but will have to be torqued down after the wheels are on the ground. Would I be better off without either on the bolt threads?

Split lockwashers?

In areas where the new ball joints are bolted to the A arms, should the lockwashers be under the bolt heads, or under the nuts? Does it even matter?

Thanks!
Andrew