[FC] gen light

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:17:40 EDT 2011

Does the light come on with the motor off and the key in the run position?  If not, your problem isn't back with the alt/regulator at all.  The bulb has 2 leads going to it : 12v from the ignition switch and a lead going back to the regulator.  The key one should be 12v or nothing... never grounded.  The one that goes to the regulator does the switching for the light.  When the alternator stops charging, that wire is grounded and supplies a ground to the light and it glows.  During normal charging, that wire is 12v (14v... battery voltage).  So the light is out when both leads are seeing +12v.  It almost sounds like you could have a short to ground somewhere in the ignition switch, the wire from the switch to the light, or possibly the bulb housing is grounded.  I don't have one in front of me to look at right now.  I assume they are mounted in plastic sockets or something to isolate the bulb from possible ground.  Something to look in to maybe.