[FC] gen light

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Tue Oct 25 11:30:06 EDT 2011

GentlemenI am still sorting out the red "GEN" light on Rampys dash.Last night i installed a brand new voltage regulator. After that I unwrapped the wire harness in the engine compartment to check each wire for any shorts and found none. I also replaced the plastic clip holding the blue and brown wire going into the alternator with two new female soldered - on spade connectors that have a sure grip on their respective connections.The former grey plastic plug with its 2 wires did not really fit the opening in the back of my alternator, it was slightly too large and stuck in the rectangular opening there.My reward for all the work is that now the red light seems brighter than before, and it no longer goes out when I rev the motor. I have seemingly made the problem worse.Next i will buy a voltmeter and follow the test procedures in the shop manual.I have lost pages 3&4 of the tech guide that I had followed in 2008 to convert the truck from generator - to - alternator, as I removed that page from my 3 ring binder to take it under the hood.Could I ask anyone to email that page to me? I will be rechecking all the connections I made during that swap.ThanksTim W. '61 Rampy 140 4 -spd.