[FC] Control Arm Shaft Interchange

Bill McCurdy eurobilly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 22:04:09 EDT 2011

I am preparing to rebuild the front suspension on a ’61 Greenbrier this
winter. The lower shafts are worn & the bushings are …50 years old. I have
read in the Corvair SAE papers “the upper and lower control arms, the ball
joints, the steering knuckle, and the pivot shaft bushings are taken
directly from the large Chevrolet car.” I have good upper & lower shafts
from a ’61 Impala - would like to use them. I find it suspicious the pivot
shaft bushings are specifically referred to but not the shafts. Can anyone
confirm or deny if the upper & lower A-arm shaft interchangeable with the
full size car? I think a Hollander interchange manual would answer the
question, but I do not have access to one.

Thanks.

--
~Bill