[FC] Idler arms

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 13:37:01 EDT 2011

I'm getting closer to having my front suspension project ready to go under the van.  Among other things, I purchased an idler arm from Clarks: PN C1614 (61-65 -Slightly different than original)

A few days ago we were talking about parts interchangability on front suspensions.  This topic came up several weeks ago on the Corvair Center Forum.  A fellow there said that his repro idler arm did not fit.  You can read about it here

 http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,427558,427579#msg-427579

This weekend I was getting ready to paint all the parts prior to assembly.  Thinking back about the idler arm I checked out the original one compared to the new one before I paint it and can't return it.

You can see pictures of them below

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&current=IDLERARMDIFFERENCES005.jpg

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&current=IDLERARMDIFFERENCES004.jpg

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&current=IDLERARMDIFFERENCES003.jpg

They are definitely different. There is an offset in the mounting arm of the original, that is straightened up with a spacer. The new one is flat.  No big deal there.  The problem is the idler arm itself has the wrong offset.  It's almost like the arm forging/casting is upside down.  The way hangs it looks like the center steering link will hang about an inch or more lower on the passenger side than it will on the driver side.  Seems like that would cause a problem.  Also I can see that the stud that connects to the drag link sits a different angle than the original.  I don't care about how original the thing looks, I just want it to function correctly.

My two 61's, my late 63, and my old 64 (the one in the picture) all have the original arms on them.  I can see no differences between them. I don't think my problem is a wrong year deal.

Is anyone else using Clark's idler arm?  How do it fit?  I'd check the fit for myself on the vehicle but I still haven't dropped the original suspension out of the van... I'm rebuilding a sapare from a parts truck.