[FC] Cables, cables, cables

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 19:27:05 EST 2012

>So my question is since I need to replace all three cables that run next to the gas tank,
>does it need to be dropped to do so?  Any other advice?

Just a follow up to my question. You can replace the accelerator and speedometer cable relatively easy with the fuel tank in place. They run in snap in clips down the frame rail which makes it possible.  The forward brake cable is not possible, at least with the tools I had on hand.  Two of the brake cable adel clamps attaching bolts are inaccessible with the tank in place.  I will drop the tank and replace the brake cable after I run most of the fuel out of the tank.  Luck being what it is I had filled the tank the day the accelerator cable quit.

I will say that so far I am very impressed with the repro accelerator cable from Clark's.  The cables strands finer and more smooth than the original.  With the front and rear return springs disconnected the gas pedal will return to idle with the only the tension of the accelerator pumps springs in the carburetors pushing on it.  Of course I am actually running with both springs in place now.

Thanks for the advice guys.