[FC] B-up lamps

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 15 01:54:52 EDT 2012

My answer to that on a '61 Rampy was to use a (lighted when on) toggle
switch mounted just to the right of the radio - below the dash.  Not
elegant, but I can turn the backups on or off regardless of what gear the
shifter is in.  The lighted switch reminds me to turn them off when moving
forward.

Unfortunately, I used fog lights intended for the front of a vehicle and
they are way too bright.  I intend to make an adjustment to that by leaving
both in place below the bumper (for appearance), but disconnect the wiring
to the right side.  One will be plenty for backing at night.  I forget where
I took the hot lead, but it might have been the spot on the fuse block where
a clock would plug in which is hot all the time.  Yes, I put an in-line fuse
in the line to the BU lights.

Now - a credit to Matt who had sent me pictures of an installation using a
toggle switch on/near the shift tube, but I got lazy and went the "manually
operated" route.  His approach would turn the BU lights on when the tranny
was placed in Reverse.  This is for 4 speed only as I recall.

Later, JR