[FC] 61 FC Transmission Linkage

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Sat Nov 24 21:26:58 EST 2012

Usually referred to as a mystery shifter.

I helped a fellow CNM member do it in the mid 90s. He had a access to a
later FC parts vehicle.  We got the gas tank (with the tunnel through it)
the shift rod (they never had a cable linkage) and cut the floor out around
the floor mounted shifter and took that also..

With those parts, it was easy enough to switch gas tanks, cut a hole in the
floor in the exact same place as the one in the donor van and weld in the
floor mounted shifter and then connect the shift rod.

There have been lots of tech tips over the years on how to improve the
mystery shifter.  I remember one by Bennie Abeta (sp?) that ran in the CNM
news letter and I think the Communique.  The only thing I remember about it
was it used a bushing made out part of a one gallon milk jug.

Dennis