[FC] 61 FC Transmission Linkage comments

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 21:29:53 EST 2012

MY advise is to start with a new transmission  shift coupler , and  lube
the pivot and shifter points up front. If really worn up front , get it
bushed. I have converted one to the newer style , BUT it is not easy , and
impossible without a donor vehicle.
The earlier FC's (pre 63?) have a crossmember that does not lend itself to
putting the opening for the shifter  rod through without serious
engineering. Like I said , I have done it , and it was very nice after the work  ,
but I would not offer to do it again for any money.
Also , If you do it , you want a good chunk of the donor  floor ,
including several inches of the rise area with reinforcements, along with the  shift
lever area of the floor. Without this , The shift lever WILL move the
floor around because it is too weak. I encountered another persons attempt to do
 this with only the flat area of the floor.
I just redid the early stock shifter on Phil's "Arizona loadside" project ,
 with very good results.
So start with a new coupler , Clark's part number C131R and a new pin , and
 you may be very surprised. Most old ones are worn pin holes , and loose
rubber  in them.
If you get under the rear of the FC and grab the coupler and feel ANY play
, You will fix most of the problem with those 2 parts. (pin and coupler).
Take  the shift rod off the vehicle to work on it , or you will damage /bend
it. If  you have a late style , put the quick shift kit ( C3943A) on it, It
works soooo  nice!!
PS:  mine are now powerglides ....
Regards, Tim Colson

In a message dated 11/24/2012 8:02:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,