[FC] looking for FC steering rebuil kit

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Mon Aug 26 16:04:30 EDT 2013

Gee, Merv,

What is wrong to cause you to have it rebuilt? First, are wheel bearings ok?
If worn, they  can show up as slop in steering. Over time, the right ball
joints go before the left ones..due to curbs, pot holes, edges of the road,
etc. Check the ball joints next. Then of course, tie rod ends to see if slop
and worn out. There is the steering box, of course, but folks have often had
the boomerang rebuilt - most likely bought a rebuilt boomerang from Clarks.

Take a look in '61 shop manual or under the van and you will see what I am
referring to. Your mechanic should know these things..common 50's 60's front
end parts.. unless of course he is really young and only has worked on newer
steering rack cars.

Biggest help to a mechanic is to know about the boomerang.. Steering boxes
are common as are rest of suspension components.

Chuck S
Fredericksburg, VA