[FC] looking for FC steering rebuil kit

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Aug 26 21:27:26 EDT 2013

 There are two things that will show up and NOT be the steering box. One is the boomerang, the end will wear just like tie rod end or an idler arm then let the steering linkage move in a way it is not supposed to. Two; if you look up past the steering box up to the floor you will see a triangle looking brace that is flat to the floor. With the FC on the ground have someone turn the steering wheel enough to turn the wheels a few degrees each way while you look at this triangle brace where it is sandwiched in the floor seam. I have seen the spot welds be either non-existent or broken and this brace will move in the floor seam, that means the frame flexes where the steering box is mounted. That brace is there for a reason.

Actually there are three, the idler arm as mentioned above could be bad letting the linkage move where it shouldn't.

Have you tried adjusting the box?

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com