[FC] Fuel pump removal

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Thu Jul 11 21:02:00 EDT 2013

I have changed my fuel pump at least three times on the side of the
road- twice on busy interstates- with success.

I replaced the fuel filter "stones" in my carbs and the rear fuel line
hose in order to try to get the van to stop acting like it was starved
for fuel. These tips were advice from the group from last week.

I took the van for a spin today to work in order to see if things
helped. I made it in fine...only stayed a very short time but only got
beyond the parking lot on the way home before she died. Vapor lock. Been
there before. I suspected it was due to a weak fuel pump so I set about
changing it.

I cannot get it off! Like never before, when I lift the fuel pump out
(all other hardware/fuel lines removed), I notice that the "push
rod/pump rod" and return spring (Figure 9-35 in the shop manual) come up
with the pump. When it should be lifting out, it bottoms out on the
hefty motor mount metal in the center of the engine bay and no matter
what I do I cannot get it out.

I put everything back together, walked back to my office, and within two
hours was able to start it up and drive home.

Any advice on how to keep the pump rod/return spring in their place so I
can get the pump off and a new one on? Do I need to shimmy the motor
forward? (Strange as I never needed to consider this before).

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great group!

Ben