[FC] Fuel pump removal

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 05:56:30 EDT 2013

just a thought , is the push rod correct for the pump? If any question at
all , get a late pushrod .
you want all later than 61 stuff. also watch the bottom of the pushrod , if
 it is not free to spin it can wear itself  and the cam .
Other than some new pumps leaking if all the cover screws checked , I have
had very little problems with the stock pump system. It sounds like maybe
you  have a restriction in the feed somewhere.
 If it were me , I would be unhooking the feed at the pump , putting a
hose on it to a clear plastic jug, and blowing into the filler with a little
air  pressure. Two things you are looking for , contamination , and a decent
fow. If  you think it is vapor lock , look into why. have the correct
sandwich under the  carbs? gasket , insulator , gasket  to keep head heat away from
the base of  the carbs?
all shrouds in place ? (side , back , forward , etc?) air cleaner cross
tube in place?
think stock setup , they did a lot of the little things for a reason..I run
 my truck down the road at 65 - 70 for long periods with no apparent heat
issues  now with enhanced 110hp , no signs of fuel issues . I run late fan ,
late carbs  , .052 jets , 319 distrib , dual exhaust , lower shrouds in
place with  thermostats and flaps removed, 355 64 diff , powerslide ,185R14
tires at thruway  speeds for long periods of time.
Regards, Tim Colson