[FC] ALTERNATOR TEST my 2 cents

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat May 9 08:50:39 EDT 2015

My bench testing of internal regulated alternators is done with a small
test harness I made. I have @6 inch red wire with a clip on it from the
battery  connection on the 2 pin plug (closest to back of vehicle) and a wire from
there  thru a 57 bulb to the other terminal. I hook 12 volt battery to the
red terminal  and negative to the case. I hook the clip to the positive
terminal. The light  bulb should light until I spin the alternator. It goes out
quickly when I spin  it with just an impact driver on the fan nut. This at
least tells me it is  putting out , not how much etc. This is not precise
test , but tells a lot when  I am running my motors on the bench for the first
time, or rebuilding an  alternator. I have not had one yet that had a charge
problem when installed in  the vehicle after this test.
 I just did one yesterday on the bench.
    By the way , around here , the GM internal regulated  10SI? are getting
harder to find , and the new rotors have gone way up in price  suddenly. I
put these on all the motors I build. I just went 40 miles away to  pick up 6
cores yesterday after doing a phone search.
If needed , I will take a picture of my cob job test unit. VERY simple to
make. It may already be on the net somewhere.
Regards, Tim Colson     http://www.cnycorvair.com/Little_Corvair_Shop.php