[FC] Springs for "working" Rampside

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed May 13 15:18:28 EDT 2015

Joel,

I always enjoy when someone tells of their isolated experience to refute a
broader concept.  I do it too, though I try to avoid it when I realize I am
 doing it.

Here is my logic on the subject.

1.)  Much of our discourse here on VV has to do with protecting our
engines from cooking and/or knocking themselves to death.  There is good  reason
for that because our engines need protection.  They were designed  and built
with 50s technology and are now quite old by any standard.  Your  mention of
deflashing and shroud removal are good examples of this discourse and
great advice.  Many, many, many people run their engines without the  benefit of
deflashing and they run OK.  Despite that, your advice has  great value.
Not everyone needs it but some may need it without knowing  it.  In general,
Corvair engines are more likely to fry than water  pumpers and because of
the weight and poor aerodynamics, the FC engines are more  endangered than
cars.  Evidence of this is that you see many more car  engines in FCs than FC
engines in cars.  FC engines self-destruct more  often as a percentage.
Contrary to your implication, engines in UltraVans  do cook.  This would
especially be the case if they ignored the points I  made in my earlier post.
However, because UV owners are well aware  (MUST be aware) that the extra weight
and air drag is more of an issue than in  other vehicles, they are more
careful while driving than your average car or FC  driver.  The highest rear
ratio of all and other measures were used to  minimize these issues.  Also,
most UV owners I know incorporate safety  measures as the technology becomes
available.  Temp gages/lights/buzzers,  anti knock devices, synthetic oil,
deflashing heads, etc.  They incorporate  these measures because they are
aware of the needs of their UVs.  Why  shouldn't FC owners have the same
knowledge?  The UV drivers must be aware  of the issues and my post was an attempt
to make FC owners aware of their issues  as well.  The next time you can
talk with an UV owner, ask him or her if  they think they need to take more
precautions with their vehicle than someone  with a Corvair car or even an FC.
Most, if not all, will say yes and if  any say no, it is likely that they
have already added reliability modifications  to ease their minds.

2.)  When you load any vehicle up to its weight limit, or beyond its
limit, the engine must work harder than when unloaded.  That's just  physics.
When the engine works harder, especially an air cooled  engine, it runs hotter
and it tends to knock more than if it was loaded  less.  That's just
physics too.  Again, our air cooled engines are  more sensitive to this abuse and
it is more so in FCs.  .... and yes, even  more so in UVs.  These issues
should be talked about and care taken  for cars, FCs and UVs to different
degrees.

3.)  You are correct that the 102 has poor low end torque and was a  bad
choice for the FCs.  You are also correct that the high compression was  the
issue that contributed to knock.  The combination of those two issues  and
others is what gets you in the end.  This is the case with both  automatic and
manual transmissions.  In an FC and especially in a fully  loaded FC, the
lack of low end torque would cause the driver to "floor it" to  get it going.
 This caused the "perfect storm" of conditions to cook the  engine.  High
compression plus up to 3/4 ton of additional weight plus full  throttle plus
low RPM quickly became a death sentence.  The extra weight  would cause the
engine to lug itself much longer at lower RPM where the  knocking occurs.
Because the 102HP engine was a time bomb in FCs and had  to be replaced both
early on and in large numbers under warranty, they  removed them from the
options list very quickly.  Low torque at low RPM may  have been a complaint
but fried engines was the biggy.  I imagine that they  would refuse to
replace the 102 with another 102.  Death by knocking was an  issue in cars with
the 102 but not to the degree as in FCs.  Once it was  introduced, they did
not remove 102s from the option list for cars until it was  replaced with the
164 engines.  It wasn't as big a warranty issue as in the  FCs.

Boiling all this down .... I contend that our Corvair engines are more
sensitive to overheating and knock than other engines.  I can't imagine you
will disagree.  Further, adding load to that engine aggravates those  issues.
Again, I doubt you will disagree.  Despite the fact that your  FC survived,
do you think my cautionary note to people is somehow inappropriate  or
inaccurate?  I feel comfortable that my advice may save some  people from
destroying their engines.  If someone takes your implied  advice that they don't
need to be careful when overloading their engine they are  more likely to fry
an engine especially in an FC.

Please forgive my terse tone but when I hear a "don't worry, be happy"
message on valid issues of safety and/or reliability, I feel strongly.   This
is why I reacted as strongly as I did a few weeks back when a member on  this
list tried to say that space-saver wheels could be used on our Corvairs
without due caution.  Your advice might merely lead to the loss of an  engine
while his advice might lead to accidents and even death.

Doc

In a message dated 5/13/2015 9:05:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,