[FC] Covers

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 00:47:01 EST 2019

Eric,
You need to be concerned with the cover creating a big pool in the bed when it rains.  If there is a heavy rain or several lighter rainstorms, the amount of water will be very heavy in the formed depression.  The weight of the water will potentially leak or even rip through the cover.  It will be a real PITA to remove the water when you want to use the Rampside.  If the water is left there, it can rot the cloth and create a breeding ground for mosquitoes.  I have a cover that tapers and even with that, I have an accumulation problem though it isn't as bad as the "drop-down" cover you are considering.  To solve my problem I am going to buy a number of ratchet straps which will reach over the bed from the cab roof to the tailgate.  This should allow the water to shed off as it falls.
I am sorry to say that I can't tell you exactly what cover I bought.  I searched my purchase history on eBay.  I found the purchase but I couldn't access the details.  As you may be aware, they make covers for VWs and Econolines but nothing I found listed Rampsides. Perhaps there are covers made for Rampsides from somewhere but I didn't want to pay a fortune.  The process was tedious but I did a number of searches for outline dimensions of "forward control" type pickups and found one that was just a little oversized.  I suppose a traditional pickup cover could work if you don't mind a bit of excess cloth hanging off the front of the Rampside.  Perhaps another contributor to this list will have a better solution.
I don't know where you are or the weather you get but I had an issue with heavy winds.  We have what are called Santa Ana winds here in SoCal.  The cover is a big sail in he wind.  What I ended up doing is taking golf balls, placing them at the lower end of the cover in the four corners and then tying them down.  My experience with grommets is that they will eventually rip in the wind.
Good luck,