[SCG] Turbo exhaust question

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Fri Nov 18 12:31:57 EST 2005

Everyone,

This showed up on VV today. Maybe something we need to research?

-Mark C

The factory assembly manual for the '66 turbo doesn't specify a
particular angle that the exhaust points, but does show it nearly
horizontal.  The only thing they specify is that the tail pipe is
aligned within 5 degrees of perpendicular to the back of the muffler
and that there's at least a 1/2" of clearance between the tailpipe
and body cutout.

My '66 Corsa turbo coupe, which I bought in '68, had the tailpipe
pretty nearly horizontal when it came from the factory.  That's the
way I put it back together when I restored it.  Besides, I like the
way it looks that way.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa coupe