[SCG] 1967 Sholder Belt Option

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Oct 24 11:00:35 EDT 2005

Several weeks ago I made a trip to North Carolina to a CORSA member's
house and retrieved from a parts car a complete '67 sholder belt option.
The car is as follows:

'67 500 4door
serial #101397W110430
body #951
build date 11B
exterior code D-D (blue)
interior code 721-E (blue)
option codes L2D5ZY

It was equipped with a 95/3 speed, air, engine compartment light,
courtesy lights, speed warning indicator, folding rear seat, head
restraints, deluxe belts, and deluxe sholder belts.

I could not determine if it had any other options, such as glove box
light, trunk light, posi, etc.

I retrieved the sholder belts and will bring them to next year's
convention meeting. The only door I could get open was the driver's
door, as the right side was up against some trees and the rear door was
frozen shut. The car is a total parts car, having been smashed beyond
repair in the front, not to mention the severe rust. I also retrieved
the body plate, and will also have it at the convention meeting.

Only 35 head restraint seat 500's were built, and this one may be the
last remaining one. (In fact, it's also the only example of the 140
deluxe and 72 custom sholder belt installations in a '67 that we've
found as well.) The headrestraint seat was badly deteriorated on the
driver's side, both due to wear and exposure to the weather thru an open
window. I tried even pulling the right side restraint out, but even it
was frozen in due to rust. It was the only one of the pair that still
had the cover intact. The cover looks somewhat like the '66 Monza
restraint, except it's not as wide. What kind of post it has on it, I
could not tell.

The pre '68 (and maybe the '68's?) sholder belts are totally different
from the '69 setup. On the '69, the spade strap is upstairs, with the
buckle downstairs. On this '67 (and another setup my buddy has loose)
the spade strap is downstairs, with the buckle upstairs. The buckle
strap doesn't have any clips on the headliner like the '69's do, but
rather has only a plastic "spade clip" nailed onto the "B" pillar as a
retainer. It's all rather strange, yet somehow slick.

I'm looking forward to displaying the setup for the group, and adding it
to the SCG documentation.

-Mark Corbin