[SCG] SCG evaluation

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Jul 11 19:59:33 EDT 2006

All,

Sorry for the confusion, but as I stated, it was just a thought. As far
as using the dreaded "J" word, Bill, you should know me well enough to
know that it was a Freudian slip. From the very beginning, I've been on
the side of "not judging, but EVALUATING" the cars. So to everyone, just
substitute "evaluating" in the places I used the wrong word. Write it
off as being too late at nite or too early in the morning, I forget
which.

As far as any "competition" aspect, I certainly didn't intend to even
imply that. The "scoring" would be only a way of putting a concrete
percentage number to an otherwise guestimated quantity - specifically,
the degree to which a car is stock and/or original. The purpose would be
for the owner's edification only, and certainly not a competition of any
sort.

Thus, any owner who had a car, like my infamous '69 Corsa for example,
could get a concrete figure on just how close to stock his car really
is. My car is constructed to be very close to stock, but complying with
the written "update-backdate" rule allowed in the Concours' Street Stock
class.

I personally desire to have a "proven" concrete figure on that car as to
just how close to stock is its construction. It would give me great
satisfaction if the percentage turned out to be very high. I'd know to
just what degree I succeeded in my intentions. I think that owners of
most any car with some degree of "stockness" (be it original or
restored) would like to have such figures.

But of course, as has been stated, just documenting originality is going
to be a huge enough task. Once that task is complete (if it ever is)
enough, maybe such percentage "scoring" could be conducted, for the sake
of owners' curiousity.

As I said, just a thought. Maybe a bit too off the wall at this point?

-Mark