[SCG] FW: <VV> Pin Stripes on 65 Corsas

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 25 15:57:47 EST 2007

Here are some of the replies I received concerning Pin Stripes on the '65
Corsa.  Also in my original e-mail, I mis-typed the date of manufacture for
my car as May '66 where it should have been '65.  That's what happens when
you use a Sun keyboard all day at work and then come home to your XP
computer.  The spacing between the keys in the Sun is a lot different than
my home computer, so I tend to make a lot of typo's that are usually caught
by spell checker.

The few people saying their Corsa came without a pinstripe, makes me wonder
if it's possible that only Corsa's made at the Willow Run plant had
pinstripes, while those from L.A. came without?  I remember doing a survey
for the '65 Corvairs, that asked the color of the pinstripe.  Would there be
some way to cross-reference these results and see if the L.A. Corsa's came
without pin stripes?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD

1.  You're right , ALL '65 Corsa's had pinstripes.

harry yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage

2. Russ, that was my understanding also that all '65 Corsas had a pin stripe
and I remember when they came out and I can't recall any of them not having
a pinstripe.  We have  2 of them in our family and they both had them at one
time.   Ken Clark

KCVAIR
66 CORSA CN W/AIR
65 CORSA CP

3. My '65 Corsa convertible had the original paint job on it when I bought
it; NO pinstripes.

Scotty from Hollyweird

4. It is my understanding that the pinstripe was standard on all 1965 Corsas
(usually matching the interior color) but that it could be deleted if the
person who ordered it so requested.

Ken Maxwell
Louisville, KY

5. My brother's black on black 65 Corsa had a red pinstripe on it...very
classy look by the way; seems like there were too many cars like that
around to just go by interior color so there must have been some other
formula as well.

Mark Noakes

6. My early 65 Corsa had pin stripes.

If you look at the early brochures for 65, you will see the Corsas did come
with pin stripes. Both versions of the brochure are identical except for the
pin stripe in the photos and the pin stripe text in the Corsa section.

On the cover of the early brochure you see the familiar yellow Corsa but it
has a black pin stripe. Open to the Corsa section you see the white Corsa
convertible, red interior and a red pin stripe. The next page shows the
Evening Orchid coupe with a white pin stripe. My Maroon Corsa had a red pin
stripe.

The text in the first paragraph goes on to describe the Corsa package, which
reads in part, "a silver-painted rear cove area; and a color-keyed body
outline stripe."

So somewhere along the line Chevy dropped the pin stripe on the 65 Corsas.
The later brochure looks the same as the early brochure but the pin stripes
are gone along with the text reference in the Corsa section.

I had both brochures, sold the later version on eBay, but kept the early pin
stripe brochure, because I knew this type of question would come up someday.

Roy - Bayshore