[SCG] Black Belts, Quick Steering, Projects

66vairman at comcast.net 66vairman at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 21:54:12 EST 2008

Geoff:

Thanks for your response regarding stock black seatbelts in 66 turquoise interiors.  When I purchased my 66 tropic turquoise with turquoise interior turbo vert 6 years ago, it had black stock GM plastic head belts in the interior.  My body vin plate does confirms no letter Y for custom belts, so I have to assume the black belts were installed at the factory.  Over the past year, I have confirmed three other 66 Corvairs (one very low mileage Coupe) with turquoise interiors and black belts.  I have yet to find a 66 turquoise colored interior with stock turquoise plastic head belts.  I believe the turquoise belts were only offered if the vehicle had deluxe belts which would then have the metal chrome head and not the plastic head.  This color interior was probably rarely ordered by the public and it is my opinion GM just opted to add the black belts instead of added extra costs for a low volume stock turquoise belt.  Attached are two photos of Rudy Giuliani's 66 turquoise Monza conver
tible recently offered for sale on e-bay (did not sell - had a reserve over 25k) - Again, notice the color of the belts!

Tom
From: Geoffrey Johnson <geoffj at unm.edu>