[SCG] Looking for Corvair Collections

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 1 17:08:47 EST 2008

Hank,

Actually, it is. At least in industry lingo. It's the Chevy marketing department that bastardized the word "sedan" by attaching "sport" to it to designate a 4door hardtop. Just like they bastardized the coupe designation for the 2door hardtop. (A coupe is, properly, a status upgrade from a 2door sedan.) It's STILL not industry standard, which was my point. Yet because of such linguistic bastardizing, the general public has swallowed the concept of a sedan automatically being a 4door. And THAT is what grates against my nerves, because a sedan (of any number of doors) was always considered a lesser value than the hardtop equivalent. By going hardtop, the LM Corvair was actually upgraded in stature. So why are we (in the club) so willing to downgrade it?

I don't have a problem with using Chevy marketing's bastardized termonology, though begrudgingly so. But ONLY when it's used in its entirety.

I also find it annoying that the term "sedan" has been so misappropriated, to the point of becoming something it isn't, in the minds of the general public. It behoves us as REAL, educated, car enthusiasts to inform them that a sedan can have any number of doors, and that a "sedan"  is NOT an automatic designation for a 4door. We as REAL car enthusiasts owe it to the hobby to speak in correct termonology. Otherwise, we become as foolish as those who don't know any better.

-Mark