[SCG] Good news about 1966-9 concours tires

Duanne daluckow at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 14:51:43 EDT 2008

Guys,

The more I look into this tire situation the more I am convinced Coker should reproduced the correct tire.  Here is what I know so far.  Coker has obtained the original Firestone drawings for the 700X13 tire.  A mold would have to be made which is a good thing speaking with other tire companies.  Six months out.  Using old molds is not a wise decision to save money.  The reason tire manufacturers destroyed or got rid of their molds were they were used up after making 1000's of tires.  It it our individual safety and the safety of the Corvair.  With having the correct tire specs for the Corvair 25.3 inch diameter and the right whitewall width should all be safe now with new rubber, new mold being made.  I also found out that the Dodge Dart used the same tire from 1963-1966 exclusively on their wagons and two years on their V-8's.  We need to investigate the avenues to see if they are interested in helping out with tire purchases.   If someone has ideas for this please respond.  250 tires will be manufactured in one batch.  That is selling 50 sets of tires to individuals assuming they buy a spare to match.  Spending $625.00 on tires with shipping, mounting and balancing still needed before the car is ready to go.  I am not finding any alternatives in the marketplace.  NOT interested in overseas production or their (foreign) time frame to save $.  Comments?

One other comment on pricing.  Coker tells me pricing should be the same as the 6.50-13 ($125.00)  which is less than producing a radial look alike.  Projecting a $175.00 radial seems too expensive to me, if a cheaper radial substitute is still available for $45.00 like the Kumho or Firestone FR 380.  P185/80 R13 which has a diameter of 24.65 and really is an substitute for the 6.50 X 13 tire.

Does anyone know tire brands by years used on the Corvairs or percentages?  US Royal, Firestone, Goodyear seem to be the big three used during the Corvair era.  If Firestones were manufactured with their name by Coker, would you guys be satisfied?  Comments?

Duanne Luckow
Corsa Concours chairman