[SCG] I.D. on a part number

John & Sandy johnson2 at clearviewcatv.net
Sun May 18 22:51:26 EDT 2008

I recently bought a pick-up truck load of parts from a collector who passed away.  Included in the parts bonanza were 5 Kelsey Hayes wheels, a complete late turbo engine, a complete early turbo engine and a box with a rear seat speaker.  The box with the speaker is identified as a  "Rear Seat Speaker---CORVAIR".  It has a part number of 985590 and a group no. of 9.650.  I took it to the Corvair Ranch Open House and it was the opinion of many that the speaker was for an early coupe, but that is as far as their knowledge went.  Could someone help me identify the speaker?  I also have a complete early turbo engine.  It has a black painted air cleaner cover.  I am guessing that this is a very early turbo, before chrome was added to this part.  Am I correct in this?  Finally, the Kelsey Hayes wheels.  The rubber cover over where the spokes attach needs to be replaced.  I have been encouraged to have the wheels professionally restored.  I understand that by doing this, the spokes would be replaced.  I am considering selling them, so should I leave them alone or have them restored before a sale?  Any help from the group would be greatly appreciated.

John V. Johnson
64 Monza conv
65 Corsa 140 conv
65 Corsa 180 turbo coupe