[SCG] I.D. on a part number

noahsarkinc noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon May 19 13:41:48 EDT 2008

I recently bought a pick-up truck load of parts from a collector who passed
away.  Included in the parts bonanza were 5 Kelsey Hayes wheels, a complete
late turbo engine, a complete early turbo engine and a box with a rear seat
speaker.  The box with the speaker is identified as a  "Rear Seat
Speaker---CORVAIR".  It has a part number of 985590 and a group no. of
9.650. This is a rear seat speaker for a 1961 - 64 Corvair, coupe or sedan.
I took it to the Corvair Ranch Open House and it was the opinion of many
that the speaker was for an early coupe, but that is as far as their
knowledge went.  Could someone help me identify the speaker?  I also have a
complete early turbo engine.  It has a black painted air cleaner cover. The
black air cleaner indicates that this is a 1962 Turbo engine, since 1962 was
the only year that used the black painted air cleaner.... I am guessing that
this is a very early turbo, before chrome was added to this part.  Am I
correct in this?  Finally, the Kelsey Hayes wheels.  The rubber cover over
where the spokes attach needs to be replaced. This is known as the rubber
flaps.  They are no longer available, and haven't been in more than 30
years.   I have been encouraged to have the wheels professionally restored.
Restoration of these wheels is done by Dayton Wheel of Dayton Ohio.  It is
very expensive. I understand that by doing this, the spokes would be
replaced. They replace the spokes with stainless steel spokes that are
tapered, not exactly like the originals.  Original spokes are no longer
available.  I am considering selling them, so should I leave them alone or
have them restored before a sale? If you are going to sell  them, let the
prospective buyer do what they want.  Why invest any more into them than you
already have.  What are you asking for them?  4 wheels or 5?  Do you have
all 4 knock offs?   Any help from the group would be greatly appreciated.
Hope that this answers all your questions.   Paul in CT