[SCG] '63 w/red trunk?

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Thu Jan 15 23:37:16 EST 2009

Hi Duane, Tommie & all...,
Just thought I'd reinforce Duane's opinions about this car. As the Corvair Preservation "Staff Historian," collector of Corvair photos and literature since 1967 and owner of some original Vairs, I agree that this car has been "freshened:" to the point that some of its originality has been ruined. Most of the damage is on the chassis and underbody, where just about everything except perhaps the bottom of the engine has been repainted. It would be just about impossible to get all that black and silver paint off and make it look original again.
The only areas underneath on a 1963 Corvair that should be black are the tunnel covers, engine shrouds, steering linkage, brake backing plates, the wheel wells (black undercoating), the front and rear crossmembers & the control arms. Whoever went wild with black on the bottom of this car hit the springs, shocks and the entire underbody. The underbody on each side of the tunnel covers should be red oxide primer. There should be red body color overspray on each side, fading as it moves inwards from the rockers. If there's red overspray showing on top of the non-stock black underbody paint, it means that the whole car was repainted red after the black was sprayed.
The bottom of the trunk normally has some body color paint on it at the front, in varying degrees. But it looks like someone deliberately painted the whole area red on this car.
You can see in the eBay pictures where the original surfaces still show, wherever the painter couldn't easily hit the surface with paint, like at the top of the once-gray shocks. Same for the silver painted axle shafts...he couldn't easily paint the shafts inside the control arms, and you can see where the arm blocked the paint as he was spraying the axles. More silver paint covers the steering linkage (yuck) and it looks like they hit the gas tank and muffler too.
And that's just the bottom side of the car. It looks like a better job than the typical used car lot in the 60s would have done, but not a professional job as nothing was disassembled before painting. They did mask or wipe off some things, like the control arm bolts.
This is a beautiful car and most of us would be proud to own it, but it wouldn't come close to qualifying for factory stock. And it would take a herculean effort to remove all the paint on the chassis and make it appear stock again. It may not be possible to ever do that.
Attached is a photo of the underside of a new '63 shot by the GM Proving Grounds in Michigan. It's not a prototype, but a car right off the line with nothing touched on it.
Dave Newell

-- "dal" <daluckow at aol.com> wrote:
Tommie,

I have no time for a debate on this car so this will be a brief statement.  You should not declare:  "The underside is absolutely perfect and looks like it just came off the GM assembly line" taken from your Ebay listing.  Original paint?  No way! The underside of that car should be red oxide & black primer with red over spray on the trunk bottom.  The factory would have never had a Corvair undercarriage looking as you described as original.  Larry Claypool will agree.  The car would be factory stock restored! I see the masking around the chrome plating vin number.  Original paint means to me and others in the Corvair circles, it has never been painted since it left the factory.  If you stated original color then that's fine.
Not necessary to call you because in your mind it will not be changed.  I have seen and owned dozen of original Corvairs that are truly stock.  CORSA has a website dedicated to the preservation of stock Corvairs.  I am a contributing member who has documented photos of what the car below should look like.  Check out www.Corvairkid.com and look at the 66 turbo convertible.  I restored that car.  Hemmings magazine, Muscles Machines for January 2009 does a six page spread on the car as well.  I do have the qualifications in knowing what I am writing to you about.  Pictures enclosed.  Just ask around and check my history and credentials.

Duanne