[SCG] 63 w/red trunk

corvairkid1963 at power-net.net corvairkid1963 at power-net.net
Sun Jan 18 15:15:13 EST 2009

This Monza has quite a story behind it. The history as stated is very true. It was last owned by a DACC member and he drove it to our Sept. and Oct. picnic meetings. Dennis lost his job of 20+ years with a big 3 supplier, and had to sell this car and his home and leave town for a better job market. I remember this car being at Sloan back in the 80's and parked in the one car showroom of Dean Chevrolet in Durand in the 70's.
I was out working in the yard one day back in late 2006 when a guy stopped by in a Dakota pick up. He said his dad had passed away and had a Corvair in the barn along with some other old cars. He asked if I would like to look at it and give him an idea of what I thought it was worth. It was only a mile away to the west of me on a dirt country road. So I got into his truck and we went to the farm where he was raised and there in the barn was the red '63 from the basement at Sloan and Dean Chevrolet fame. I kept this to myself for several months because I really wanted to buy this and take it to the Convention in Sterling Heights in 2007. He said it was appraised at $15,000.00 and felt that was in line for a low mileage original car, at that time it had about 1800 miles on it. Now you have to remember that his dad lived one mile off of any paved road, so any trip would require a slow mile of driving on dirt. It was sitting on some old wool carpet and yes it did have some dirt !
 an!
d a little surface rust on the bottom, but only what you get from a damp floor with the high humidity here in Michigan. So I know someone  has spent some time and money on the bottom side of this car, I don't think it was Dennis as he drove it as is. Norm King did some work on resealing the trans and engine, but he did not clean or paint anything that I know of.
AS you can see here I was never able to secure the funds to buy this one, and after 30+ years of being so close to it, it got away (twice) and may be forever gone from its original home.

Pete Cimbala,