[SCG] "Bloomington Gold" for Corvairs?

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Wed Jun 10 19:56:37 EDT 2009

Folks,

Right now the closest thing we have to this is the ASCE - Annual Stock
Corvair Event, as set up and run each year at the CORSA convention by the
Stock Corvair Group.  We don't give out awards - just a certificate
recognizing your participation, but it is a place for lovers of Stock
Corvair to gather and show off their cars, whether un-restored barn car
originals, daily drivers, works-in-progress restorations, or Concours-ready
full-up restorations.

The only requirement to participate is to show up.  We do ask for $15 to
help cover our costs (printing of the large evaluation packets, etc.),
although I think we have forgotten to collect it the last few years.  The
event is currently held concurrent with the Concours classification and Unit
6 evaluation on day one of the CORSA convention (although we have no real
connection to that event), so everybody has a chance to participate if they
want to. This year it is scheduled for 1-5pm on Monday, July 13th.

We are a volunteer organization, and we are dependent on the participants
also helping with the process - we are all students.  Bring your car, your
camera, an inquisitive mind, and a willingness to learn and to teach, and we
will all muddle through the event together.  We have basic evaluation
packets for each car entered into the event. We do not attempt to evaluate
every detail on every car, but we do what we can for each one, given the
extent of whatever resources we have available on that day.  We keep the
packets for our research purposes, but each participant is supposed to get a
copy of their own car's report.  Unlike Concours, we do not "judge"
anything, preferring instead to evaluate and to document.  The ASCE does not
care about the "beauty" aspect, only about stock.

We have now held a total of 3 ASCEs so far - the first was Buffalo, 2006,
then Detroit, 2007, and last was Los Angeles, 2008.  Jacksonville will be
our 4th event.

This link will take you to the SCG's ASCE policy:
http://members.cox.net/stock_corvair_group/SCG%20Policy%20for%20Annual%20Sto
ck%20Corvair%20Event.htm

The following 2 links will take you to photos of the 1st two ASCEs:
ASCE 2006 (Buffalo): http://rides.webshots.com/album/553305052nkBwHP

ASCE 2007 (Detroit): http://rides.webshots.com/album/560121201jsrsyz

If you care about Stock Corvairs, please plan to attend the 4th ASCE this
year in Jacksonville.  I hope to see you there.

Bill Hubbell
President, SCG.