[SCG] ASCE - Annual Stock Corvair Event

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sat Jun 13 17:53:01 EDT 2009

To all of you out there calling for awards for Stock Corvairs, or for a
“Survivor’s Class”, PLEASE just support the SCG.  We set up the SCG because
we have learned from years of hard experience that it is the ONLY way we
will get the research done that will lead to the recognition of Stock
Corvair.

PLEASE go to the SCG website http://members.cox.net/stock_corvair_group/
and READ what we have written there about our background, our mission, our
policies.  I UNDERSTAND your frustration, but we need all of you to get on
board and help us.

I am aware that the current website is crude and may not display properly on
all browsers (it seems to hate the latest version of Internet Explorer 8 on
my computer, but it still works on Firefox and older IE browsers).  This was
originally meant to be a temporary site until we could get our permanent
site up.  We almost had the permanent site ready to go public when somebody
at CORSA accidentally deleted it and now we have to start all over from
scratch and rebuild it.  Since we are all volunteers with real jobs, this
process takes time and I cannot say with certainty when we will get the new
site rebuilt and public but we WILL do it just as soon as possible.  At that
point, we will populate it with all of the data we have collected, some of
which we will make available to the public, the rest to dues-paying SCG
members, and then we can all begin to share our information in an improved
environment.

As far as documenting Stock Corvairs at your local shows, yes, by all means
please attempt to do so.  I am attaching an Excel Spreadsheet that contains
a simple (but LONG) form for specifically documenting what parts of a car
are stock vs. not.  It uses the same organizational structure as the CORSA
Concours judging sheets, but is designed only for assessment of stock, not
for fit or finish.  Of course, you have to have sufficient knowledge of what
actually is stock to make the correct judgment.  As you will quickly note,
the form is so long you cannot expect to complete it for even one car in
just one sitting, but it serves as a useful starting point, anyway.  If you
do complete any such forms, please send me electronic copies so we can add
them to our database.  Of course, digital pictures are always a great way to
document stock cars, so please take plenty of them.  It is most important
that you collect the following information so we can decide if follow-up
calls are indicated:
•	Owner’s name, e-mail, phone, address
•	Auto’s VIN
•	Auto’s Fisher Body tag information.