[SCG] 64 changes.

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 23 00:04:43 EDT 2009

I have a 1964 Corvair Spyder that was built the first day of production in
1963 based on the serial number, and the production numbers on the data tag.
For all intent and purpose, it appears to be a left over 1963 body with 1964
items added.  The first design 1964 luggage lid had the same type of letter
that were used on the rear lid.  The front leading edge of the luggage
compartment lid was foam filled by GM for some unknown reason.  These front
lids rapidly rusted out, and very early on, they made the change to the hood
with the letter studs and nuts.  Mine had this early first design lid, and
when it was painted, the paint would bubble the next day.  Twice it was
ground down to bare metal, prepped, and painted, and each time more pin hole
rust would come through.  It was at that time that we decided to take a
panel cutter to the front of the hood to see what was going on.  Only then
did we see the spray foam that was holding the moisture.  It has been
replaced with the second design lid, and no more problem.  Can't comment on
the other issues, since I would have to look at the car to determine what is
what.  I only remember the luggage area, since I was comparing it to another
1964 Spyder that I own.  Paul in CT