[SCG] 64 changes.

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Thu Oct 22 23:05:10 EDT 2009

Ronnie,

I believe I may have already posted you about the Fisher tag, but I will
repeat the answer here plus other answers for the benefit of the entire
group.  I fully intend to publish this as an article in an upcoming edition
of the SCG newsletter, "Taking Stock", but would like to be able to confirm
a few things first, mainly by getting more 1964s into the database,
especially needing cars with build dates 01D through 02C.

Anyway, here are your answers (numbers refer to your questions):

Question 1.

Your tag indicates a build date of '0E' which is more properly 10E (fifth
week of October, 1963).  All cars built this week seem to have that same odd
designation, for unknown reasons, but it appears to be the only week that
they dropped the first number of the month, as we have 10A, 10B, 10C, 10D
and 11A tags - see my online photo database of 1964 Fisher tags here:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/552937869fLgqrp

Also, as indicated on this web site, there were three different designs for
1964 Fisher tags and yours is a normal example of the 2nd style.
Style 1 is the same as all earlier year Corvairs and continued in 1964
through build date 10D
Style 2 (yours), a transitional style, was only used on 1964 cars with Build
dates 0E through 03B.
Style 3, first used in 1964 cars with Build date 03C, is the same style as
used on all later year Corvairs

Finally, the single letter 'E' is an interior paint code signifying the
color black, as explained in my article on page 6 of "Taking Stock" Vol 1
Issue 2:
http://members.cox.net/stock_corvair_group/Taking_Stock_Vol1_Issue2.pdf

Question 2.

There were three trunk vent styles used on 61-64 Corvairs:
Style 1 was used from 1961 until approximately the middle of the 1963 model
year (still trying to pin exact date down - at least through build date 10B,
but likely longer) - this is the style with a single stamped steel plate
vent that is screwed on to the left rear corner of the trunk and a solid
steel cover plate screwed over the unused gas heater hole in the right rear
corner.

Style 2 is an interim style, used from approximately mid 1963 model year (I
have it at least as early as 02D) until the early 1964 model year - about
09B.  This style has the same stamped steel vent plate on the left side, but
the right side is a solid wall - no plate, no vent.  This style came into
existence at the same time that the gas heater ceased to be offered as an
option, such that the cover plate was no longer needed on the right side.

Style 3 is strictly seen in the 1964 models from 09C through the end of the
model year, and has integral stamped vents on both sides - not screwed on
vents.  It is assumed that they decided the trunk needed more venting than
was provided by Style 2 (possibly to help the trunk lid close more easily)

Question 3.

The trunk lid letters were changed from the push-in style to the screw-on
style around the 12C build date, probably due to water getting trapped in
the trunk lid leading to rust-out problems with the blind, push-in style.

Question 4 And 5.

Engine lid was changed from having 8 drain holes and a short rear weather
strip to having 2 drain holes with a longer weather strip somewhere around
the middle to end of February 1964 (02A-03A), and probably concurrent with
the venting of the battery caps (02C-02D), for the presumed reason of
keeping fumes out of the passenger compartment.  It is assumed that by
making the weather strip longer and blocking all but the two center drain
holes there was less chance of engine exhaust and hot air exiting the lower
shrouds being sucked back into the engine compartment by the engine fan.
Likewise, the battery caps were vented to prevent H2 from being sucked into
the cooling system.  This is consistent with service bulletins of the era
dealing with consumer complaints of odors brought into the passenger
compartment via the Direct Air Heater.

Hope this helps!

Now, to really pin the above dates down, I need to have data from cars with
the following Build dates:

For Trunk vents (Style 1 to Style 2 transition date)
1963 cars with Build Dates from 10C through 02C

For Trunk Letters (push-in to screw-in transition date)::
1964 cars Build dates 12A through 01E

For Deck Lids (8 holes/Short weather-strip to 2 holes/Long weather-strip
transition dates):
1964 cars Build Dates 02A-03A

For Battery Vents (appearance of hole in battery box)
1964 cars Build Dates 02C-02D

Thanks!

Bill Hubbell
President, SCG