[SCG] [Corsabod] Factory Stock Corvair Entries and StockPreservation Awardhistory in CORSA Concours 1997-2009

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Thu Sep 3 19:57:45 EDT 2009

Thanks, Tim.

I really don't know exactly what I have in mind for the Stock Classes.  All
I can tell you is how I felt when I was going through the process of
restoring my car and moving up through the ranks from Modified to Street
Stock and then finally to Factory Stock Restored.  Mostly, I felt
unappreciated and invisible until I reached the final goal, and even then,
because I was competing against Rich, I never did win any kind of award (I
bear the distinct frustrating of being the only person to compete for and
lose the FSR Preservation award three times.  Oh well...).  The only
recognition I ever got for my efforts was to be allowed to compete in the
Factory Stock Restored class.  Well, it had to be enough for me, but I must
admit to sometimes wishing for a little more encouragement and recognition
along the way, if only a few "atta-boys".  Instead, what I usually got was
discouragement or frustration because I had the wrong bolt, or the wrong
color or sheen of paint.  In other words, it was more of a discouraging
journey than an encouraging one, and that is what I would like to change for
the rest of the group.  Fortunately for me, I WAS competing against Rich
Thompson, in more ways than you know, and we encouraged each other.  I was
certainly happy for his success, and his well deserved rewards, even though
I sometimes wished for a little recognition of my own.

OK, so I bared my soul - don't shoot me for it.  My goal now is not to seek
recognition for myself but to give it to the others who are out there
fighting the good fight, so they will continue and not give up because it is
"too hard" or "not worth it", or because they don't want to see their
efforts dismissed because they missed something.

So I guess what I would like to see is not just a single award given to a
Stock car that is the most beautiful (highest Concours score), but rather a
broader class of recognition for the hard work these people are doing in
their attempts to understand and preserve/restore the Stock Corvair.

Think of it another way - looking at the list I sent out yesterday, there
are only EIGHTEEN (18) cars that CORSA has recognized as Factory Stock (4
Original and 14 Restored) in the past THIRTEEN (13) years.  That is not very
many cars.  There are many more cars that got into Street Stock that never
went any farther.  Did their owners get discouraged and give up, or were
they just content with the effort?  Could we have done anything to encourage
them to continue?  Is that even a proper function of our club?  Well,
obviously I think it is, but I am biased.  Still, I have to wonder how many
may have given up the journey because they did not get those "atta-boys".

So at the very least, I think we need to give some sort of "class
recognition" to the folks who are crazy enough to run this gauntlet.
Perhaps we could learn a lesson from the folks at AACA who give a nice
trophy to you when you win your first event ("First Junior") and then you
get to compete for a different nice trophy as you move into the Senior
category.  We could do something similar and recognize every car that makes
it into the Street Stock class for the first time (thereby giving incentive
to start down the Stock path) and then again give recognition when they
enter the Factory Stock class for the first time.  Sure, we could still
recognize the best cars in these classes as well, but in order to encourage
Stock preservation/restoration we should recognize all efforts in some
capacity.

As to the nature of the recognition, it could be as simple as a certificate
or a name on a list.  The point is to recognize and reward the effort.  The
alternative, which is what we have been doing, is to continue to see fewer
and fewer Stock Corvairs.

Finally, and this is over and above the issue of Stock Corvairs, I believe
if we wish to improve participation in the Concours in general we should
again take a cue from the AACA and offer something like their "Preservation
Award", which is actually a participation award.  Once a car has obtained
Senior Status we should offer an award that recognizes repeat participation.
It won't solve all problems - after all, Concours is a lot of work and most
of us get tired of the prep work after awhile, but maybe it would encourage
more repeat business.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Bill Hubbell