[SCG] [Corsabod] Factory Stock Corvair Entries and StockPreservationAward history in CORSA Concours 1997-2009

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 16 18:21:56 EDT 2009

All,

I must remind you that, according to Concours Rules, ONLY the Concours
Chairman can recommend changes to the rules. It is then up to the board to
vote on his/her recommendation, yes or no. So thus while the board can
discuss any topic concerning concours rules they want, unless the Concours
Chariman recommends it to the board, the board is powerless to change the
rules. It was set up this way in order to prevent the board from changing
the rules indiscriminately. Concours rules should ONLY be changed after due
and lengthy consideration, and not on a whim. Such could be the case when
tempers flair or should the board be inexperienced in matters of concours
(which is usually the case). (The Concours Chairman's job is also insulated
from the public for this very reason.) It is therefore proper and wise that
ONLY the Concours Chairman be given the power to propose changes, as (s)he
is usually the only one well-qualified enough to make well-reasoned and
deliberate change/recommendations. (Note: no offense meant to any present
company by this.)

-Mark Corbin (been there, done that - the voice of experience)

<scg-list at tiger.skiblack.com>
> Date: 9/16/2009 3:23:24 PM
> Subject: Re: [SCG] [Corsabod] Factory Stock Corvair Entries and
StockPreservationAward history in CORSA Concours 1997-2009

> Mr. Luckow -
>
> Thank you for your service and your personal comments. I would be
interested in any plan you can submit that has as its goal a major increase
in concours participation. I hope that as concours chair you are not
satisfied with the numbers from recent conventions. (45,38,57,60)

> If your statement was a decision made by the concours committee as a
whole, please provide minutes of the meeting.

> The board of directors has a responsibility to all CORSA members.
>
> When many qualified opinions are sent to board by members concerning any
event or committee the board has a responsibility to respectfully study and
evaluate the topic.

> The preferred procedure would be for board first to direct the
appropriate committee to study all suggestions from members, evaluate and
make recommendations for changes if any in a detailed report listing
committee members participating and minutes of all meetings.

> The board would then have a body of information for orderly study,
discussion and decision by voting. As you know, discussions are held after
motions are made, not before.

> If the committee does not comply with board direction, there are several
other procedures available to board.

> However for the board to fail to discuss comments from members is a
serious breach of democratic rule as specific in CORSA governing documents
and would be a public relations disaster at a time when the board is
attempting to restore confidence by improving participation of all CORSA
activities - including concours.

> The president does not have sole responsibility or authority to decide
whether member comments are given consideration by board.

> And the president does not have authority to restrict board to place a
topic on the agenda of meetings.

> If president refuses to honor a directors request to place a topic on
agenda, the director may introduce as "New Business" or "Old Business".

> President Mahler's email comment that "case is closed" does not comply
with his duties as specified in governing documents and