[SCG] '61 on eBay with Cloth Buckets

Wade Lanning wblanning at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 21:46:22 EDT 2011

Hi SCG Folks,

In event you haven't noticed, there is an eBay auction in progress for a '61 Monza sedan that has factory cloth bucket seats instead of vinyl buckets.  It has been in a dusty storage building since 1971, so in a sense it might be considered a barn find.  It was used as a driver, but appears mostly original and certainly is rather unique with the cloth bucket seats.  Of course the rear seat has the matching cloth seating surfaces too.

It's item 120704620163 and the direct link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120704620163&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

One of the pictures posted is of the body tag.  This tag appears to have a build code of 02B which means it was built the 2nd week of February, 1961.  This number is stamped in the tag above the word "STYLE" and it's a bit hard to read in the photo, but that date fits the known VIN and the body code sequences for other Corvairs.  The BODY code is WR 4839, so it was the 4,839th Monza sedan built on the Willow Run assembly line that year.  The TRIM code is 846 (bucket seats in red cloth & vinyl) and the PAINT code is 923-5 (Roman Red with red painted interior metal).  The ACC code is HKAGD.  I understand that the H means direct air heater, but I do not know what the other letters mean.

Also included in the pictures is a view of the shift lever, which is the style that fits between the bucket seats, whereas the shift lever for bench seat and other later bucket seat cars had a shift lever curved in an arc to clear the seat.

Thanks to Dave Newell for bringing this auction to my attention.  It will be interesting to see how this auction goes and who gets the car.

Wade