[SCG] Name

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Sun Jul 3 10:03:26 EDT 2011

Mark,

Sorry, but I disagree.  Most people in the old car hobby already associate
the use of the work "stock" with the concept of originality, as in the
condition of the car as it left the factory or as was delivered to the
customer.  However, the word, "original" has many other meanings besides the
one you are suggesting.  For instance, a concept or person may be considered
"original" when they are uniquely different from the norm, in which case a
truly unique modification of a Stock Corvair might be considered an
"original" (Smitty's 1964 wagon, for instance).

Besides, we need to understand that if we limited our interests to those
cars which were only "original" we would have a very small club and very few
cars.  Exactly how "original" should the car be - would we follow CORSA
Concours definitions for Factory Stock Original and allow up to 25%
modifications, or none at all?  Would having changed the oil, tires,
filters, etc. make the car no longer "original"?

Finally, there is the fact that we have clearly defined our intent to
embrace both original and restored Stock cars in our own Bylaws and Mission
Statement:

Bylaws:

Article II. PURPOSES

Section 2.01 EDUCATION ABOUT STOCK CORVAIRS

Encourage interest in and aid in the research, preservation, restoration and
operation of Stock Corvair automobiles, trucks and related vehicles; provide
an environment in which members can expand their knowledge and common
interest in Stock Corvairs

Section 2.02 ENJOYMENT OF STOCK CORVAIRS

Provide a friendly social environment in which members can appreciate and
enjoy their progress in maintaining or restoring Stock Corvairs.

Section 2.03 DOCUMENTATION OF STOCK CORVAIRS

Provide a means for gathering and publishing data documenting the physical
appearance, and historical background of Stock Corvairs

Mission Statement

Encourage interest in and aid in the research, preservation, restoration and
operation of Stock Corvair automobiles, trucks and related vehicles.

Provide an environment in which members can expand their knowledge and
common interest in Stock Corvairs

Provide a friendly social environment in which members can appreciate and
enjoy their progress in maintaining or restoring Stock Corvairs.

Provide a means for gathering and publishing data, documenting the physical
appearance, and historical background of Stock Corvairs.

So please, let's just stick with "Stock Corvair Group"

Bill Hubbell

SCG President