[SCG] inspection marks and other things

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Thu Jun 9 07:50:57 EDT 2011

This is an interesting discussion, but I don't think we have to worry much about CORSA ever making Concours more anal when it comes to Stock classes.  CORSA has never put much emphasis on Stock research or preservation into Concours and the only reason there is anything at all about Stock in our Concours is due to the efforts of a small number of dedicated individuals such as Mark, Larry, and Dave.  The more recent trends in Concours rule changes have only been to further water down any encouragement for Stock representation in Concours, as evidenced by the silly re-naming of the Modified classes to "Improved".  Further evidence of CORSA's distain for stock is found by the fact that there was no such thing as a Stock committee or Stock research group until we formed the Stock Corvair Group some 30+ years after CORSA originated.  Finally, you need only to look at the low volume of activity on our new Interactive SCG web site to realize that the vast majority of CORSA members just aren't all that interested in the subject of Stock.  I think the motto of most CORSA members can be summed up by the phrase "Stock is a good starting point."

I have finally come to terms with the realization that researching and documenting Stock Corvairs will never amount to anything more than just an interesting hobby that I and a small number of others happen to enjoy.  I have no delusions that it will ever have much financial benefit or make much difference in the way most Corvair Owners enjoy their cars.  Corvairs were never high dollar cars to begin with, and they will never be high dollar collector cars (with possible rare exceptions), no matter how original or well-documented they may be.  They are fun and interesting cars, however, and I think we can all agree on that.

Bill Hubbell