[SCG] [Corsabod] inspection marks and other things

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 14:02:31 EDT 2011

Jamie,

I may be able to help shed some light on this. There is a difference
between involvement, promotion, and outright meddling. As I pointed out in
my recent post, I feel that the board shouldn't even have the power to "OK"
a concours proposal. Most board members simply aren't qualified to make
such determinations. This I have always felt constitutes meddling in
affairs in which they should not be into.

I mentioned a "select committee" of concours experts, and if you don't mind
me elaborating, here is how I'd go about having just such a committee:

First collect the names of well-known concours and historical documentation
experts and invite them to submit a list of names (including themselves)
for such a committee. My own list would include myself, Larry Claypool,
Bill Hubbell, Kent Sulivan, Bob Norwalk, Ray Fallot, Duanne Luckow, and a
few others I can't think of at the moment. Then send each one on their
lists, not already consulted, for the same list. By this method you'd
collect a "straw vote" of all those most often mentioned who would be a
good choice for such a committee.

That core would form the first "select committee" and would be empowered to
do two things. First, add anyone to their number by majority vote of
themselves, and if necessary, expell by unanimous vote of the rest of the
group anyone not deemed appropriate. Second, review any concours changes
made by themselves or the seated national concours chairman, and approve
(or reject) the same via a 3/4 affirmative vote, with all members votes
accounted for, and after their discussions were all heard. The CORSA board
would have absolutely NO power in regards to changing concours rules, or
removing anyone or adding anyone to this committee. It would be charged
with being a strictly autonomous committee free from CORSA politics.
Membership would be a lifetime appointment, and would end only by self
resignation or by the aforementioned removal by the rest of the committee.
This is my idea, anyway.

As far as promotion of things such as the efforts of the SCG, just
mentioning our efforts as news items is helpful promotion. But certainly
you know what an advertising campaign does and how it works? THAT is real
promotion. The SCG members shouldn't have to "promote" ourselves, we should
be newsworthy enough to the membership to warrant CORSA periodically
"advertising" for us.

-Mark