[SCG] speaker support housing - 1966 conververtible - mountingposition?

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 1 14:57:27 EDT 2012

All,

Not sure what both of you are calling the "well", but the area directly
behind the seat back, which most of the top folds into is known as the
"boot well." And yes, I have the installation instructions, which Clark's
has in their "accessory installation instructions" that shows the rear seat
speaker mounted to the back of the seat back, IN this boot well, as you
described. The rear seat (single) speaker w/fader for the mono setup is on
the right side, while a stereo second speaker is mirror-image mounted on
the left side. To my knowledge most all boot well liners were black, and
that is why the cardboard speaker boxes are black. However, there MAY be an
exception, notably with a beige top (which is in itself rare), in that the
boot well AND speaker box(s) (along with the top's frame) MAY be a matching
beige. There just are so few original convertables with a factory non-black
or white top to know for sure. That car sure sounds like a great candidate
for the SCG evaluation. I know that I tried to make contact with everybody
who wanted their car evaluated, and do a report, but simply ran out of
time, as there was only me to do the evaluations.

BTW, my own '67 convertable has the factory speaker system for the tape
player in it, and that is exactly how the speakers were mounted from the
factory.

-Mark C.

gentlemen selling his 1966 Corsa convertible he bought new from the
dealership. It was cameo beige, with fawn interior and beige top/frame.
> His rear speaker was in the cardboard box (beige color box!) and mounted
on the right rear top back side of the rear seat. The speaker was angled
backward with the original 1966 pin dot grill cover, I believe this may be
the proper mounting spot and not the well as you suggest. I will now open
this discussion up to the stock corvair group. I assume its possible
someone may have original mounting instructions for this very rare option
in the convertible.

> Tom

the 66 is C10638 @ $32.45, we make these in black as that is how they
always were to our knowledge. They are located under the well area so no
one ever sees this, so color does not matter, but if you want one out of
colored cardboard, we probably could try doing one up for you like that.
thanks, Mark