[V8Vairs] Engine Covers

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:59:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2004 7:56:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
VairKing@hotmail.com writes:

I am  starting to think about enclosing
the engine, and was wondering what to use  to make it out of, fiberglass or
steel.  I have access and experience  with both, just wondering if I could
keep
the noise/heat out with the  fiberglass, with proper insulation of course...I
appreciate any thoughts or  comments.  Thanks.

    You would be better off with carbon fiber and a  good resin. It is a
little more expensive but the carbon fiber does not bend  with the heat and is
very ridgid. I have one of the Yenko rear deck lids of  carbon fiber, it is
feather light and I can pick it up from a corner and it does  not bend and has not
sagged with the summer engine heat and the sun on  it.
    Ken Hand