[V8Vairs] Engine Covers

Delta Inc v8vairs@corvair.org
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:41:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <DEvans@csu.org>

> I was planning on constructing a sectional cover in several parts.   The
> basic framing would be half inch square steel tube welded together.
> Skinning would be either light steel or aluminium.,
http://www.corvair.org/
*********
Keep in mind that almost any type of "plastic"  including epoxies and
polyesters etc. etc...... when "scorched" ... can release toxic ( read
DEADly ) vapors into your driving cockpit .....  I used 0.060 alum sheet,
pretty much free standing to form my engine box ( pop rivets, with a
removeable hinged top ).  I believe that I could have used 0.040 with a
frame, I used 6061 t3 sheeting, was easy to bend over a buck .
I also used the 0.060 for the fan / radiator shrouding ....   although again
I will use 0.040 next time, probably need some aluminum strapping for a
frame.

I did put outdoor carpeting over one engine box, this worked well for
insulation, never had it catch on fire yet (g) ... and was cheap and easy to
use.
just some thoughts; ken campbell, deltawerkes.