[V8Vairs] Project Photos...

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:06:05 -0600

I hope that the car handles...  There are several Eldo-powered Vair's
around that I've heard of, but with the entire engine/trans mass located
right on the axle, they are notorious for evil handling.  The entire
exercise in developing the novel drive train was to shove the engine/trans
mass forward to better balance the car..  While I have no weight figures,
the Mark1 eyeball estimate is about 40/60.  The five link rear should be
fairly adept at staying on the ground under heavy power loading, so yes, a
"drag racer that handles" was pretty much the design goal.

The tallest gear that I could get in the axle is a 3.31 ratio.  I would
have preferred something like a 2.50 given the expected 650 foot-pounds or
so of torque the engine is expected to produce and the 26 inch tall tires.
 The stock ratio for the Eldo is 2.97; and that's on a 6000 pound car with
29 inch tires.  Since I was stuck with the short axle ratio, I just put in
lots of cam and breathability to allow the engine to wind up easily.
Should be quite a ride.

No pictures of the installed drivetrain.  I had everything installed the
other day for mock-up, but the packaging is so tight it would be difficult
to get meaningful pictures.  The front, er, rear, crank pulley is only
about five inches from the axle tube and is next to the pinion.  The
driveshaft will be about 12 inches long, from joint to joint.  The overall
engine/trans/axle package is only 48 inches from the axle centerline to
the frontmost part of the transmission chaincase.

The front, or rather, the rear engine mount is installed behind the water
pump and has extended mounting ears because that part of the engine is
located right at the highest part of the Corvair integral frame where the
backrest of the rear seat was originally located.  This is why is was so
much easier to suspend the engine; the strongest parts  of the car where
located up high.  Since driveshaft clearance and compactness were so
important, fabricating the serpentine was much easier than trying to work
with Cad mounts.  I'm just worried that the F**d pulleys may cause tissue
rejection issues...

I doubt that I'll be driving anytime in the near future.  Everything on
this vehicle is pretty much hand built, as few ready made parts exist for
this application.  Also, I'm doing all of the work myself, and am learning
fabrication, body work and painting, and everything else as I go along.
(Read this as learning to cover my mistakes as I go on...)  I also am
suffering the usual budget difficulties that all of us obsessed mad
inventor types must endure.

Doug Evans
Penrose, CO
'67 with 3.54 X 144 cubic inches