[V8Vairs] options and advice

Steve Goodman v8vairs@corvair.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:29:56 -0700

Hello Tom:  WOW a post on the v8 list, how novel!!!  I don't believe the
700R4 will work, too long, shaft size etc.  I would guess that the 4.3L with
the stick would be the easiest and give you the most leg room.  I don't know
why you would want a 2.8L, I have a 3.0L (Corvair) in my spyder now but to
each his own.  A fellow v8 owner here in Denver (late Mikey Hawks) started
with a 400sbc and a big car powerglide but changed to the big car Saginaw
(Chris Wills) and was much happier with the results.

In my opinion, an automatic with a small engine would be the equivilant of
the original Corvair flat 6 with the powerglide, not really all that hot in
the performance department.  Good luck whatever you decide.

Regards, Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: tom zimmermann <s10birdman1966@yahoo.com>
To: <v8vairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 11:14 AM
Subject: [V8Vairs] options and advice

> I've got a '65 Monza with a sick motor/clutch that "looks" nice,a recent
repaint; it has the usual floorpan rust out,but appears to be ok
structurally..My plan was to install a 4.3 with a Vega saginaw,but am
considering a 2.8/700r4 as I've got several on hand,at least to start with,
and grow from there..will the 'big car' PG kit work on the 700r4 ? Is anyone
running a similar setup?== thanks,Tom