[V8Vairs] Front - mid engines

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 13:18:43 EDT 2005

From: Thomas Robert R Civ 76 PMXG/MAEAPF  <Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil>
> I'm investigating the pros and cons  of installing the engine in front of
me
> instead of behind. I can see  a lot of benefits such as the availability of
> cheap, strong, standard  transmissions and rearends and more room inside.
> Does the engine (SBC)  comfortably between the stock cross member and the
> "firewall"?
>  How is the third member/rear axle hung?
> Any particularly difficult  problems to overcome if a perimeter frame isn't

At the Carlisle convention in 2003, there was a beautiful late coupe  with a
front mounted V8. It did not use the convert-a-chassis method. He added  motor
mounts on the front crossmember and certainly added some kind of rear  trans
mount, along with increased clearance under the dash. The car had a dual  quad
Carb set-up on it. I am not sure how the rear end was installed, but the  car
did run and made at least some of the tours, as I recall. Some of the V8
guys can easily join in on this.

I have wondered about using the C5 Corvette transaxle with a front  mounted
motor. (The LS1 is all aluminum, like the Vair!) This might minimize the
floorboard impact - althought there would still be a tunnel - and allow  retaining
the independent rear suspension. A four seat C5 Corvette!   Boy, that would
drive them Crazy!  Eh, Frank?  - Seth  Emerson