[V8Vairs] Daily Drivers / Econoboxes

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 23:15:53 EDT 2005

I believe Ryan is one of the few who use their v8vair for long distances.....

In 2002  several of the SoCal Waterpumpers drove from L.A.  to
Flaggstaff......nearly killed them all.......looked like they were about to collapse.....why
they were not at Portland....not a single one......although  one had  driven
to Tahoe in 99...a VERT!!

Most that I know use the cars for performance driving-street racing /
cruising...I have NOS  just for that purpose....ggggg  Even the few I know with AC
in the cars.....trailer them long distances...especially in summer.
********

As far as an economical v8vair.......one of the FWD   swaps most
likely....4-6 speed trans with OD....plust most will set a lot further to the rear....but
then the "balance of the car is changed and feels totally different.

To keep the Crown / KM / ME   layouts......I'd use a SBC  4.3 v6   with the
2004R  4 speed OD  trans as used in  S-10 /15's    The tailshaft can be cut off
and an adapter plated welded to the case...maybe 1"  longer than  the Crown
adapter....the v6  is 5"  shorter than  the SBC v8.

Re-splining of the output shaft  can be economically done with EDM [ electric
discharge machining] since it doesn't need to be "un-hardened" before
splining.

This allows the retention of the Vair 6"  R & P  and stock diff. location
suspension use...

Think about it.....

Matt